Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Pilchard Update.

Thank you to everyone for your kind words about the passing of Allison's little buddy Pilchard. She took the news better than any of us expected. Here's how it went:

The first thing out of her mouth on Saturday morning was that she couldn't wait to go to Grandma's so she could play with Pilchard! I told her that Pilchard went to heaven to be with Pooki. She cried (me too) and was upset that Grandma wasn't going to have a kitty to take care of anymore. She asked me what happened and I told her that she got sick. She replied that she must have gotten a disease way down deep inside of her that even medicine couldn't make better. She then said she was going to get one of her kitties (stuffed) to give to Grandma so she would have a kitty again until she gets another real one. Then as I was getting out of the shower I heard her tell her kitty that she was going to live with Grandma for a while until she gets a new real kitty. She told it that Grandma's kitty died and Grandma was sad so she had to cheer her up and keep her company. She only cried one other time when we went to Target. She saw a notebook in the school supply area with a kitty on it and asked "Why did Pilchard have to die?" I did my best to explain it in a way she could handle but she grasped the truth better than most adults do. I thought this was going to be worse than it was. She handled the whole thing beautifully. Her concern for her Grandmother showed me what is truly in her heart. She not only felt sympathy for her Grandmother's loss but also found a way to help maker her Grandmother get over it. Later that day she presented her stuffed kitty to Grandma with such care and grace that I am still amazed at what a wonderful human being she is growing up to be. Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails