Sunday, May 04, 2008

An Elementary Art Show!

This past Tuesday Allison's elementary school along with another one in the district had it's 1st Annual Art Show before the Intermediate High School's Spring Concert. Allison wasn't sure if any of her art work would be there but we thought we would go before dinner anyway. Can I just say here that I really enjoyed myself. The students are from Kindergarten through 6th Grade. I loved seeing how each student interpreted the teacher's instructions. I also loved seeing the level of skill that each student possessed. I stood there soaking up each of the pieces' beauty. I could tell that every student put time, talent and effort into their artwork. I know that most likely none of these pieces will end up being displayed on a wall in a famous museum. In my book that doesn't matter. The refrigerators they will grace the front of will be improved by their beauty. What does matter is that the students are proud of their work. They are proud that their work was important enough to be displayed in an "Art Show." What a boost to their self-confidence! Kudos to "Mr. B." for putting this together. He not only is teaching art but he is helping to build strong individuals.

Mr. B. also did something else when he put this show together. He also inspired me. Well the student's artwork inspired me but I wouldn't have seen it if he hadn't put on the art show. It took me back to when I was in school. When my favorite subject was art. I looked forward to it every year. My art teacher was Mrs. Louise Librich. She was the best. I loved her and fortunately since I went to a small country school, I had her from elementary all the way through to high school when I took art as an elective. I miss those art classes. I miss being creative. I miss my art supplies. I miss getting my hands dirty with chalk pastels, paints and clay. I need to change that. I will change that. Allison's favorite thing to do is create with crayons, markers, scissors, glue, tape, etc.. I'm sure she would love it if I helped expand her creativity in a new direction. I'll have to work on that. Don't worry, I'll be sure to share our adventure with all of you.

Here are some other pictures of artwork that I took at the show.

This was the 1st Grade project. Isn't it cool? Allison is pointing at her contribution to it. Yes, it's a solid color pink but it's so beautiful! Here's a close up. What is she looking at, you ask? Well, let me tell you!
This is what she couldn't take her eyes off the whole time. If you know Allison, you are probably thinking it's the dinosaur. WRONG! It's the art teacher, Mr. B.! YES! That's right! My 6 year old daughter has a crush on the art teacher! I wish I had a better picture because he is a cutey but I couldn't get her to agree to pose with him. I thought it would be odd if I asked him to strike a pose by himself. So I didn't. Allison probably would have killed me anyway. You should have seen her! She had a smile from ear to ear as soon as we walked in. It never left. Afterward when I was uploading the pictures to the computer, she asked if I was going to put him on my blog. I said yes. She then asked me if I was going to tell her secret about the crush. Boy, she knows me too well! I said I would if she gave me permission. She thought about it for a while and agreed. BUT....only if YOU all PROMISE not to say anything to him or to anyone who knows him. Okay? Do you all agree? Great! Thanks for keeping her secret. This was just too good not to share with all of you!
Here are a couple more Campbell soup cans:

I don't know what grade these were...I guess I should have asked but I really enjoyed all of these. I liked how the expressions were captured. I may (big MAY here) try to do one of these of Allison.

And lastly a few collections for your enjoyment. I love how many different results occur from the same instructions.



"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up."
~Pablo Picasso
Have Fun!
Pin It

2 comments:

Mrs. Piatt said...

I am so glad your child has a great art teacher and is enjoying art. Does this art teacher have a blog or website? I am about to have my first art show and could use some tips.

ABS said...

I would LOVE to know how your art teacher created and executed the Warhol cans!!! AWESOME,,,

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails