Thursday, May 29, 2008

Happy Birthday Allison!

No, I haven't lost my mind! I know Allison's birthday is July 16th. I could hardly forget. I did give birth to her afterall! Anyway, since Allison has a Summer birthday she can't celebrate it in school with her classmates. So we celebrated it a little early. Her teacher gave her a cute birthday certificate with "Happy 6.8 Birthday" on it. Allison got a kick out of that. Her teacher suggested that I come in about 2:45 and if I wanted, I could spend the rest of the day with her class. Of course I wanted! I love watching them. It makes me realize that although I think Allison does some strange things, she is more behaved than some of the kids in her class. One little girl pulled up her sleeve, put her mouth on her forearm and started to blow loudly making a "gas" noise! Crazy! And she continued after she was told to stop! Okay, moving along here. Allison requested cupcakes and those "Little Hugs" that is pretty much sugar water or as her teacher described them..."melted popsicles." Even though they are cheap, cheap, cheap, I have never bought them. I'll stick with the 100% fruit juices thank you!

I also put together take home treat bags for the kids. I put little bags of pretzels, a Rice Krispie Treat, a little bag of M & M's, a Reese's cup and two Dum Dum lollipops in them.
Here's a close up. I found the balloon cellophane bags at Wal-Mart. They were in the party section. I'm glad I fought my urge to avoid Wal-Mart because they were very inexpensive. I hate Wal-Mart but that is a whole other post.
I gave Allison some choices for cupcakes and she picked penguins. Aren't they cute? I just love them and they were so easy. I found the idea on the Family Fun website. You can see their link over there. ------> As I've mentioned several times before, I love their magazine and website.
Here is a close up of a little penguin. The recipe said to use dried apricots cut into triangles for the nose and feet. However, I wasn't going to sit there and cut out 72 triangles to have the kids pull them off and say "Yuk, what is this?" So I improvised and colored some icing orange and piped it on with a Wilton #3 tip. I actually liked how they came out better than the apricots. The cookies are the Keebler Grasshopper Cookies. One package will make 24 cupcakes with a few left over. However, when you cut the cookie in half, use a sharp knife and start at the top first and then run the knife down to the bottom. If you put the knife on top and press down, you will not get a clean edge. The eyes are mini M & M's "glued" on with a little white icing. I found the minis at a convenience store and I bought two tubes to get 48 brown ones for the eyes. You could use different colored eyes if you wish and use all the colors but I liked the brown better.
Speaking of Penguins....Whoo Hooo! The Pittsburgh Penguins won game 3 last night of the Stanley Cup Finals! Here's a victory photo "borrowed" from their site. They lost the first two games and won the third. We need to win 3 more out of the next 4 to bring the cup home!
Go Pens!
Have Fun! Pin It

3 comments:

Benita said...

Oh my gosh, those cupcakes are absolutely adorable! Too cute!

And I gotta secretly admit, I cheered last night when the Pens won game 3 ;) Although my dh didn't like it too much, lol. He's a HUGE Wings fan! And well, I like the Wings as well, but the Pens are my home team, so I gotta root for them as well :)

Anonymous said...

The cupcakes are very very cute and I bet the kids loved the treat bags, you always do such a nice job, keep up the nice work!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I absolutely love the cupcakes. I just can't believe how creative you are. You are sooo wasting your time at TGI's!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails