Friday, May 16, 2008

Definitely A Dinner Repeat!

Whenever I try a new recipe or dinner idea my family rates it as either a repeat or not. Last night's dinner was definitely a repeat. I had planned on making soft chicken tacos but when I went to get the spice pack from the pantry, I found this packet of McCormick's Fajita Seasoning Mix. I had forgotten that I bought it! I gave Miss Allison the choice and she decided to try something new. Good girl! I made it with red and yellow peppers because that is what I had on hand. Green peppers don't agree with me anyway so any time I can avoid those is a good thing.

The prep was super easy. I just had to cut the boneless, skinless chicken breasts into strips and marinate it in a plastic bag with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 cup of water for 15 minutes. I used that time to clean and cut the peppers and a medium onion. And the best part...it all went into one large skillet! All I used to make this very flavorful dinner was a cutting board, a knife, a large skillet and tongs to move the food around in the pan. That's it! Easy Peazy Lemon Squeezy. (as Allison would say) I served it with warm flour tortilla shells, shredded lettuce and shredded cheddar cheese. You could add diced tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole and salsa also if you like. I also thought about making rice but I'm glad I didn't. We didn't need it and all left the table full.

After I started cooking it, Miss Allison wasn't too sure about her choice of dinner. I told her that I could take out the peppers and onions for her and she could just have the chicken, cheese and lettuce. Her reply was "No, I think I want to try those." Good girl! However, after we assembled her fajita, she turned up her nose and complained that it was yucky and didn't want it. Curtis told her that Mommy doesn't make anything bad (thanks Honey!) and she needs to eat it. I told her just to try it. She whined. We left her alone. Moments later I saw her out of the side of my right eye take a little bite. Then Daddy noticed she took a BIG bite! He commented and she started with "MMMmmmm!" Yay! She loves it! She ended up eating the whole thing and wanted another one. As she was eating her second one, I told her that I wanted to take her picture to send to my Mom (who is at my sister's this week so she can see it on my sister's computer). Allison asked if I was going to put the picture on my blog. LOL! I said "sure." She told me to tell the people on my blog that she ate 2 fajitas! She actually ended up eating one and a half but was so proud for trying something new. I'm proud of her too! She's very good at trying new things. We have the two bite rule in our house. She has to try two bites of something before she can say she doesn't like it. There's actually not too much that she doesn't like. She even tried artichoke hearts on Mother's Day. She didn't like those but she did try them. Curtis wouldn't.

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”

Have Fun!

Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails