Sunday, March 21, 2010

3 and 6636!

As I wrote yesterday, Rita's was giving away a free Italian ice to celebrate the first day of spring.

I had this crazy idea to walk to Rita's. It's not that close but I thought I could do it. I asked Curtis what he thought and he said I would never make it. Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence honey . . . NOT!

Well Curtis went over to his brother's to work on his car and left us alone for the day.

I debated walking there several times during the day and decided that it was probably a bad idea. You see, I'm a realist and although inside I feel like I'm in my 20's, I know I'm not and certainly not in the shape I was then either. I know it's in my control and I know I can lose the extra fluff but I have to be there in my mind and I'm not quite there yet.

Okay, let's move along here.

Allison apparently overheard Curtis and I talking about it earlier and made the decision that we were going to walk. :( She said, "Come on, Mom! You want to lose some pounds, so you can just walk them off!" Oh boy, I wish it was that easy! Anyway. After much persuading from her, I agreed.

Eight, yes 8 minutes into the walk, I was regretting my decision. It's not because I was out of breath or tired yet but because when we turned the corner onto a side road, all I saw was a long road with a hill at the end. Hmm, I take Allison to school every morning on that road and never noticed that hill before! Oh well. I promised Allison and I didn't want to look like a wimp in her eyes and turn back now . . . at least not 8 minutes into the trip!

I'm happy to say that I made it! It wasn't as bad as I thought and I was feeling sort of proud. That was until we turned right at the end of that road and saw even a BIGGER hill! No problem! This was about a 1/2 mile hill but we were walking down it so I knew I could handle it. I bet you know what I was secretly fearing inside though! YES, that we had to walk UP it on the way home! Goodness! What have I gotten myself into?!?!?

Well we arrived at Rita's and stood in line. When it was our turn to approach the window, I couldn't move. My legs felt a little weird and sort of jello-like. I said a quick prayer and was able to make it to the window without falling. They didn't have many flavors left since this was in the evening but I picked blue raspberry and Allison got one side of her cup filled with chocolate chocolate chip and the other with s'mores. There wasn't any place to sit so we walked over to a shopping plaza and sat on the curb.

I explained to Allison that "Mommy isn't going to make it up that hill." and that I was going to call our neighbor Audrey to come and get us. She refused and told me that I could do it. She said the people on the Biggest Loser work harder than walking up that hill and that I was in better shape than those people. She said that it wouldn't be that bad and we could take breaks if we needed it. Wow! Hey Jillian & Bob! If you need an assistant, I've got one right here for you!

Okay. I decided that I would do this for Allison. After all, I made it this far so why not go for the gold and show Allison to push through things you are afraid of doing!

However, In the back of my mind I was a little . . . okay, a lot afraid of passing out or something. So, being the practical Mother that I am, I asked Allison if she knew how to call 911 on my cell phone? She said, "Oh of course, it's 9 - 1 - 1." I explained that she had to push send after that. I also coached her on the name of the road we would be walking. She then looked at me and asked, "Should I start CPR until they get here?" LOL! Love that kid!

Well, I'm ecstatic to report that I MADE IT! We only stopped twice up that hill at 2 intersecting side roads before crossing. I took that opportunity to catch my breath. Honestly, it was in no way as bad as I thought it would be! It was actually easier than the first hill on the way to Rita's even though this one was bigger.

When we were minutes from home, Allison said this has been the best weekend ever. First, she got to go to see "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" on Friday after school and then today (Saturday), she got to go on a long walk with her Mom to get free Rita's. I am SO glad I pushed myself . . . not only for her but for me.

Oh, and the title of this post . . . 3 is for the three miles that we walked and 6636 is the number of steps I walked. I'm so happy I put on my pedometer before we left. I now have a new goal to beat!

Have Fun! Pin It

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I am so glad you walked and didnt pass out or something. You should be real proud of yourself. I am proud of you.

Stephanie said...

Great job Cindi!!! We've been trying to be healthy at our household too...and you know how rough that is for a family who doesn't like veggies!!!

Sandy said...

What a wonderful story and good for you doing that long up hill walk with your cute daughter! I don't walk enough myself except at Walt Disney World LOL! I like to do my Wii Fitness but I'm been a little lazy lately.

Teacup Lane (Sandy)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails