Thursday, August 28, 2008

My New Favorite Vegetable Recipe!

First I want to say "This is NOT my recipe." I found it on Recipe Zaar. It's one of my favorite recipe sites. Since the internet, I do not buy cookbooks any more. There are so many great sites online to search for tried and true recipes with ratings from others who have tried it. I have some of my favorites listed over there ----> in my sidebar. This recipe link is here. I love cabbage....a lot. I could eat Halupki (stuffed cabbage rolls) for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Obviously that isn't too practical so I went on a search for cooked cabbage. There is a ton of them out there but I picked this one because it seemed easier and healthier than the rest I found. Don't get me wrong. The ones that said to sauté the cabbage in bacon fat sounded tasty but I thought I better stick with something a little less fattening.
Simmered Cabbage
The Participants: 1 head of cabbage, olive oil, butter, salt and pepper. I omitted the sherry but feel free if you like.
Grab a big sauté pan. Please don't look at the condition of my pan. This is my favorite as you can tell by how well loved it is. It's a Cook's Essentials deep sauté pan from QVC but they don't sell it in this size anymore. So I'll love this pan for as long as I can.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan.

While that's melting, chop up your cabbage into about 1 inch squares. The recipe calls for a 1/2 of cabbage but I wasn't sure what that meant so I used 8 cups and it was perfect.
Cool! Look at the pretty design!

I know! I'm weird!

:::blurry pic alert:::

Add the cabbage, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the pan. Oh my! I may have misjudged the pan. It's a little full!

Ooops! I forgot the chicken broth. I used light and fat free. You'll need this a little later.

Stir and sauté the cabbage for about 5 minutes.

This looks just about right.

Now add 1 cup of the chick broth and bring to a boil.

Once it boils, turn it down to simmer and cover it. You'll need to stir it frequently so the bottom doesn't burn.
It should probably take about 15 minutes to get the cabbage tender. When it's tender, take off the lid.
Turn the heat back up so the broth boils. Make sure to stir it so it doesn't burn. After the broth reduces by half, it is done.
Yummy! This is the finished product!
Enjoy!

This is the recipe copied exactly from the Recipe Zaar site by the original poster. The items in red are my adjustments or comments.

Simmered Cabbage

Ingredients
1/2 head cabbage, chopped into approx 1 inch squares or pieces (I used 8 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth (I prefer it with the chicken) (Me too!)
3 tablespoons dry sherry (optional) (I didn't use this)

Directions
~Heat oil and butter in large heavy and wide saucepan or sauté pan; add cabbage, salt, pepper, and stir over low heat for 5 minutes.
~Add broth (I usually add a bit of sherry, too )and bring to boil, cover and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often, for about 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
~Raise heat to medium, uncover and let juices reduce to about half (be careful not to let burn). ~Taste and adjust seasoning, serve hot.

Have Fun!

Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails